Senior Broadcast Engineer
BitFire has an opening for a Senior Broadcast Engineer at our Phoenix, AZ location.
Reporting to the Director Broadcast Engineering, this person will be directly responsible for all daily technical operations of the BitFire Studios facility in Phoenix. They will be responsible for the proper operation of all broadcast and IT related technology, which includes a high level of preventive maintenance. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to organize, plan, manage, document and execute assignments within a demanding live, multi-studio and control room broadcast environment. This person is responsible for the equipment that provides the content of our live, broadcast on-air and program streams, our original program productions, our post-production and animation suites, our commercial production work as well as technical support of on site, IP transport Network Operations Center.
- Transforms BitFire Studios and Networks strategies into executable plans and goals for the engineering team, aligning with the Director Broadcast Engineering, Production Managers and President/CEO on key business and technical requirements, standards, and methodologies.
- Maintains the daily technical operations of our Phoenix facilities, including on-air studio operations, control rooms, post editing and animation operations, automation systems, and all other broadcast-related operating systems.
- Owns relationships with third party contractors, vendors and systems integrators who perform physical installations in our facilities.
- Accountable for handling established technical and department capital budgets, including adjusting tactical implementation and reallocating funding as priorities shift.
- Enthusiastically supervises, mentors, trains and schedules direct reports, to continually improve engineering performance and customer service.
- Mobilizes and facilitates team goal setting, establishing specific plans, projects and objectives needed to accomplish these goals and ensuring their attainment.
- Partners with and integrates with our Phoenix in-house content / production business partners, resolving conflicts and managing competing priorities, to provide a complete solution.
- Ensures projects are on time, on budget and meet the needs of the business making sure resources and organization structure are in place and operating effectively.
- Must excel in motivating and working with a high energy team and should demonstrate success in budgeting, capital planning and personnel management.
- Integrating resources effectively, including resources under direct control, or by way of outside contractors and vendors.
- Responsible for staying up with industry developments in key technical areas of standardization and can articulate benefits/risks of various technology solutions and provide guidance on all capital purchases.
- Minimum of 10 years of television broadcast engineering experience. Experience working in live broadcast production environments a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years working in a senior broadcast engineer position overseeing facilities, systems, technologies and staff.
- Demonstrates broad experience in the detailed design, build, and commissioning of technical systems including linear broadcast playout, video compression, live streaming, content workflow management, content ingest, storage, transformation, IP networks including multicast, WAN video distribution, file delivery and acceleration, with the ability to identify and leverage technical experts in different specialized fields.
- Demonstrates knowledge in baseband HD/SD video, transport stream distribution, video/audio encoding, OTT streaming architectures and technologies, advanced IP computer-based digital systems including multicast and video contribution/distribution.
- This position is a combination office environment, production studios, control rooms and from time-to-time travel to our Boston and LA facilities.
- This position involves physical activity such as handling objects up to 50 pounds and standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours per day.
- This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required as job duties and business demands change.
Résumés and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com.